These quail scotch eggs make an excellent savoury alternative to the choccy egg as an Easter gift. This cheat’s recipe, using ready-made veal meatballs, is so simple to follow:
For the tomato ketchup:
4 plum tomatoes
1 garlic clove
Small knob ginger
1 red chilli
1 dessertspoon brown sugar
1 dessertspoon Worcester sauce
1 dessertspoon red wine vinegar
3 tbsps of water
Makes enough for 6-8 people.
1. Prepare a bowl of ice cold water and set aside
2. Boil the quail's eggs for 2 minutes exactly and then transfer immediately to the cold water and leave for 10 minutes before peeling.
3. Using a third of a meatball, flatten in your palm and then wrap up the quail's egg. (Less is more on the meat).
4. Roll the scotch eggs in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs. You can leave them in the fridge overnight at this stage.
5. Pour the oil into a frying pan until it is three quarters full. With heat on a high heat drop in a breadcrumb – if it sizzles and turns golden, add your scotch eggs.
6. Fry for about 1-2 minutes until they are a delicious golden brown
7. Leave to cool on kitchen paper before slicing them in half to reveal perfectly oozing yolks
8. Meanwhile start making your homemade ketchup by gently frying the onion until soft before adding the ginger and garlic
9. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to the pan with all the other ingredients except the water
10. Leave this to reduce and then add the water and reduce again for another 10 minutes
11. Leave to cool and then blitz in the blender and serve
Words by Chloe Maier. The Iris Letter April 2017.