Homemade, dark chocolate, salted truffles are just the ticket for a creative, culinary, Christmas present. Wrap them up in cellophane and tie with a festive ribbon.
For about 25 truffles:
300g of dark chocolate
300ml of double cream
50g unsalted butter
200g of milk chocolate
Sea salt flakes (we like this)
1. Break the dark chocolate into a bowl
2. Heat the cream and butter to simmering point and then pour over the chocolate and allow it to melt
3. Cool and then cover in the fridge for 4 hours/overnight
4. Either using a teaspoon or one of these, scoop out the truffle mixture and roll in your hands to form little bite-size balls. Place onto grease proof paper
5. Melt the milk chocolate in a bain-marie and then dip each truffle into the chocolate using toothpicks to fish them out
6. Sprinkle one or two flakes of sea salt on the top while the chocolate is still melted and then chill for another 2 hours
7. Package up and keep chilled
Words by Chloe Maier. The Iris Letter December 2016.