It is said that garlic wards off evil spirits. For the summer solstice rustle up a batch of this traditional Catalan cold tomato soup that delivers a flavour punch. Best served with a glass of crisp, cold white wine (we like this one). Serves 6 for a starter or 4 for a main.
Roughly 1kg tomatoes
Half a green pepper
1 red pepper
Quarter of a white onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp tomato puree
250ml olive oil
1. Roughly chop your tomatoes, peel the cucumber and dice up the pepper and onion. Reserve some for the garnish.
2. Put the chopped veg, tomato puree, minced garlic clove, vinegars and olive oil into the blender and whizz.
3. Season generously (tomatoes need quite a bit of salt) and if it’s a bit thick add about half a cup of water.
4. Gently tear up the bread and fry in some olive oil for crispy, crunchy croutons.
5. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, a few basil leaves, the chopped veg and croutons.
Words by Chloe Maier. The Iris Letter June 2017.